Pages

Saturday, 15 September 2007

Where does the time go?

I was talking to my oldest son the other day. He is 15, in his first year of High School and a lot taller than me!! We were talking about his future, his dreams and hopes. He shocked me by saying that he wanted to go to England to study. He wants to be a forensic scientist, but in Japan there are no courses for this. You have to join the police force there is no separate division for forensics. Of course it would be great if he could get into university in England, I'm happy that he has some vision and goal, even if he isn't sure how to get there. But where is my baby boy? Where is the cheeky little toddler that wouldn't let me leave the room with following me all over the place, yes even to the bathroom? The past 15 years have gone really quick and I worry that the next 15 will go even quicker. How does one deal with this, our kids growing up in the blink of an eye, I don't feel older, but the aches in my back tell me differently. I know that this is how history has marched on, the kids grow and leave, but how does one deal with the emptiness left behind? I guess now I can understand these old ladies I see in my neighbourhood with their little lap dogs.
So I am going to try and be with my kids more, really enjoy this time together because it really does only come once.

I want to write more but there is a thunderstorm rolling in!!!