Pages

Monday, 17 September 2007

Sunday afternoons

Growing up Sunday afternoons were always a down time. No shops were open, nothing on TV (I'm talking about prevideo and DVD era!), just a time to day dream, read and maybe panic if homework wasn't finished! Now Sundays are as busy as every other day. In Japan there is no concept of a day off. Even if the schools, offices and factories are closed all the shops are open and packed. I guess for working Moms it's a chance to do the weekly shop. I use to shop on Sundays, the best deals are to be found, but the stress of fighting crowds to get meat or fish just a few yen cheaper wasn't worth it. I now try to shop on a Monday, when it is quieter, the kids are at school so not moaning and whinging for something in every shop.

So yesterday afternoon I tackled a job I had been putting off for years. I sorted socks. I can't believe that I kept so many odd socks. One large draw full and a laundry basket. These had been hanging around for the past 10 years or so. Why? Did I think that these odd sock would suddenly grow a mate? I honestly don't know. It took me two hours, managed to get a few pairs out of it, but from now on I am going to be on top of the sock problem!!