I always knew that living in Japan was going to be difficult, but I thought it would get easier.
I would learn the language, understand the culture and make friends. But after 16 years here I still can't read or write, have a hard time with anything but very basic conversation. Still have a hard time understanding the idea of group mentality, of pushing people to keep going beyond normal limits. And friends, well my students like me, until they quit, then I never hear from them again. My best friend in Japan is from Zimbawa. So I'm wondering what to do. My husband talks about having goals for the next 10 or 20 years, but honestly speaking most days I'm just happy to get through the day! I would love to go back to England but we would never make enough money. Unless we won the lottery!
So life is tough and the one thing that would make it easier is learning some Japanese. But it seems so hard. Some people manage it, but I seem to learn some new word or phrase one week only to forget it the next. Also my son tends to translate for me, showing off I guess...well he is 15 so I guess it's normal! That makes me kind of lazy!
So a lot of stress. Yesterday I had to go to the hospital for a biopsy, but I have to wait until Saturday for the results..... I think waiting is worst than having the biopsy. Just three more days.
My son just came and told me that Prime Minister Abe has resigned. After one just one year in office. Is this the start of the swing door prime ministers? I remember a few years ago the Japanese changed their prime ministers every few months. The poor kids who were studying about the Japanese parlimentary system were getting so frustrated because the names kept changing very quickly! Lets hope things settle down this time!!