Pages

Saturday, 7 July 2007

Tanabata festival star festival

Today is the 'star festival' or tanabata in Japanese. The festival comes from an old Chinese tale called Kikkoden. The story is a about a weaver princess and a cow herder prince who lived in space. When they got together they forgot about their work. The King got angry at them and seperated them by the Amanogawa River, the Milkyway. They can only met once a year on July 7th, thus the star festival. People write wishes and tie them to bamboo branches.
I think this year my wish will be for the rain to stop. After complaining that we weren't getting enough rain, we are now getting to much. Yesterday was incredible, it just poured and poured. It stopped for a few hours this afternoon but not long enough for the ground to dry up. And now it is raining again. The kids are miserable because they can't get outside and I have a mountain of laundry which needs doing, but I'm fed up of having clothes hanging around the living room. I have dryer but it costs to much to run it and it makes the house even hotter. Their has to be something good in all this rain but I can't see it.